Hi! My ncampbell-macaelaame is Macaela Campbell and I am a senior majoring in Psychology with a minor in African American Diaspora studies. Being selected for the Gil Internship has been one of the greatest opportunities I’ve had at UNC Chapel Hill. I truly could not be more grateful.

I have been placed in the North Carolina State Department of Corrections under the mentorship of Dr. Peiper. He is the Assistant Director of Behavioral Health. My position involves entering data for an ongoing research initiative, shadowing for clinical experience, and in some cases working with pre-doctoral students. I have only been working for a few weeks so my main duties thus far have been inputting data describing self-injurious behavior of inmates. However, soon I will begin shadowing in the prisons with a psychologist. I am really excited about this opportunity. I am also excited to be in contact with the pre-doctoral interns. I have been able to ask them questions about what they do and why. Furthermore, Dr. Peiper has set up a day where I can ask all of them for general advice and specific questions about their educational choices thus far. I am looking forward to this the most because I still have concerns about graduate school and which direction to take toward my PhD.

Overall, this experience has been great. I was really nervous at the beginning because I was not sure if I belonged. However, I have felt welcomed by everyone in the office and I am thrilled for the opportunity to shadow in the prison. As of right now the best takeaway I can give is be confident in whatever season of life you are in. Currently I am in the midst of trying to figure what I want to do and what I need to do in my gap year to prepare for graduate school. This has been really overwhelming and stressful coupled with the standard amount of anxiety during senior year of undergrad. This internship has stretched me but in all the rights ways. My confidence has grown tremendously and I’m looking forward to what the future holds.

#PsychMajor #UNC #ConfessionsOfAGilIntern #SeniorYear #ConfidenceIsKey  #fall2016